Our supreme discipline –
machining components made of MMC
They save on fuel, are highly robust, can conduct heat and are resistant to high temperatures: due to their application advantages, having to go without weight-reduced metal matrix composites (MMC) in the automotive industry, the aerospace industry, mechanical engineering, the sports articles industry, railway and roadway construction or also defence technology would be unthinkable now. The machining of these lightweight but exceptionally stable materials is the supreme discipline for every machining company. For years, Ziegler Präzisionsteile from Georgensgmünd has preferred to work with materials considered hard to process, combined with complex geometries. We are looking forward to your request for a component or a series made of MMC!
Specialists for metal matrix composites
Components made of aluminium, titanium or magnesium are lightweight, but frequently do not fulfil the demands on resistance to mechanical, thermal or tribological stresses. For this reason, an increased number of metal matrix composites are used, mainly in automotive construction and in the aerospace industry, in which a microstructure made of a metal alloy – usually aluminium – is reinforced using fibres, particles or foams. The reinforcement components made of metallic, ceramic or carbon-based fibres and particles are however the reason why metal matrix composites are hard to machine. The extremely hard reinforcement components can, depending on the particle size and geometry and the grain of the cutting material, cause very different types of wear on tools. In addition, the topography of the workpiece surface must remain absolutely intact during machining, i.e. no micro fractures, pore deformations or adhesions may occur.
Metal matrix composites can be machined only using special, usually diamond-coated tools. Due to years of experience and the close collaboration with tool suppliers, machine manufacturers and research facilities, the production experts at Ziegler are completely familiar with the properties and characteristics of materials and tools in the machining process. The adjustment of the machining parameters such as feed, cutting depth and cutting speed takes place adapted to the respective composite material. Therefore we can machine components made of MMC economically, and above all with the required precision.
Milling of MMC (metal matrix composites) at a glance
- Milling-machined individual parts and prototypes made of MMC materials
- Experience with matrices made of aluminium, magnesium and titanium base alloys, reinforcement components made of metals, ceramics (e.g. silicon, boron carbide, oxide ceramics etc.) and carbons (e.g. diamond, carbon nanotubes, graphite, etc.)
- 5-axis simultaneous machining and multiple-side machining
- Series parts (small and medium-sized series)
- Maximum traversing path: 1250 X1250 Y500 Z500
- Experience in the machining of metal matrix components for very different branches (internal link) such as motor sports, vehicle construction, aerospace, mechanical engineering, the sports article industry, etc.
- Surface machining and thermal treatments such as high-gloss polishing, glass bead blasting, sandblasting, laser inscriptions, hardening, quenching and tempering, laser welding, coating, painting and galvanising
- Part cleaning and cleanroom packaging